|Welcome to Edinburgh
|Thank you for your interest in the History of Edinburgh
county Ohio was settled by a large number of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. That is
probably how Edinburgh got its name. The area was most likely settled because
of the Apple Creek and some fresh water springs in the area. John Chaney built a
mill on the fox property around 1815 there was a store run near the mill run by
Ira Pratt. By 1817 there was a Presbyterian church built. A tavern opened in
1818. The name Edinburgh first appeared on an 1826 Wayne county map.
On August 16 1832 William Thomas and John Chaney platted Edinburgh where SR
250 crosses the Apple creek. It was recorded by George Emery page 438 volume
9. Originally Edinburgh started out as twenty-two lots. Six of those lots were
west of the Apple Creek. Over the next 5 years Edinburgh continued to grow
mostly eastward toward higher ground.
In 1833 lots twenty three thru forty one were added twenty three thru twenty six
and thirty one thru thirty five were owned by William Thomas. Lots twenty seven
thru thirty and thirty six thru forty one were owned by Theophilus Phillips.
In 1836 lots forty two thru sixty six were added. Lots forty thru fifty were owned
by William Thomas and lots fifty one thru sixty six were owned by Theophilus
In 1837 lots sixty seven thru seventy four were added and owned by John
Cheyney. Interesting enough the last lots added to Edinburgh were back to lower
ground west of the Apple creek.
Religion was big back then with 90% attendance. In 1835 Methodist church was
built ad The first academy in Wayne County Edinburgh academy built in 1842. It
became a college in 1848. Out of ten historical landmarks in union township. The
Edinburgh academy is the only landmark inside present day Apple Creek.
Edinburgh went on to grow as village and by all accounts was a bustling place.
The censes of 1860 lists a doctor, an innkeeper, 4 grocers and dry good stores, a
saddler, 3 tailors, 3 blacksmiths, 3 carpenters, a miller, 3 shoe makers, a
minister, a teacher, a cooper, a butcher shop, a seamstress, a painter, and a
boarding house with about 50 building.
Lets backtrack a bit to 1852. The Cleveland, Akron, and Mt Vernon Railroad
began buying up land for a proposed railway. John Hindman owned land where it
crossed SR 250. In 1854 John Hindman laid out Apple Creek Station. The railroad
made it the ideal place to be. Over time Edinburgh became known as “old town”.
The Jameson brothers moved there store from Edinburgh to Apple creek station.
In the 1860s the school and both churches moved onto the higher grounds of
Apple Creek station.
By 1877 the much of the land between the two towns had been built up and the
choice was made to incorporate as one town. It was named Apple Creek.
This is where many people believe the story of Edinburgh ends.
However when the two towns joined to incorporate in 1877 lots 10 thru 15 lots
31 thru 41 and lots 67 thru 74 of Edinburgh were not incorporated into Apple
Edinburgh became a much smaller village after the joining with Apple Creek
station. Over the years Edinburgh got smaller. Lots 13 thru 15 currently owned
by Gerald Knapp Lots 31 thru 35 currently owned by Mac Homes and lots 67 thru
74 currently owned by Carolyn Jackson. All merged back into East Union township
according to the legal definition of the said properties.
Edinburgh was on the verge of being lost forever. Over the years lots 37 thru 41
went thru some replatting and renumbering and is now referred to under legal
definition most current recording January 17, 2012 as lot 42 in the village of
Edinburgh. All that remains now is parts of lots 10 thru 12 and lot 36 owned by
Fannie Geiser and a lot 42 which is 2.25 acres owned by John Latecki Jr.
Present day Edinburgh may be small but not forgotten. Many people don’t realize
Edinburgh was here over 20 years before Apple Creek Station. The real historical
and symbolic Edinburgh runs from present day Edinburgh East past the Golden
Bear and encompasses church street as well. Maybe someday we can get a green
state sign like Gurne has marking Edinburgh up past Golden Bear so people
remember the town that was and the town that still exists.
Please feel free to stop into Edinburgh and check out the Edinburgh Education
Center and see old maps and documents from the history of Edinburgh.